Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Teaching- A Great Experience???


Some think that teaching might not seem to be a problem for me as I am currently undertaking a teaching course and I am a teacher in making. This might seem ironic but sometimes teaching does make you live in hell. Well, at least that’s how I felt before presenting my set induction for Dr. Edwin’s tutorials. Unusually, my anxiety level shoots not up but down and I was able to present extraordinarily well. Thanks to my tutor Miss Siti who was very supportive and she surely made my day. After Miss Siti announced to the class that she wants us to do the set induction for a theme in the play, “Oedipus Rex”, I was on the quest of finding an interesting set induction which could not only trigger the schemata of my “students” but also sustain their attention throughout the lesson. I was on a wild goose hunt as I was unable to crack my head and thus, I searched for a few pictures to be used in the set induction stage. Later, on the eve of the presentation day, while having my dinner, suddenly an idea struck my head-why don’t I use a game that I used when I was a facilitator in a leadership camp? In order to introduce the theme, ‘blindness’ to students, it would indeed be a good activity. Thus, on the day when my name was called out, I went to the front and told the class that we would be playing a game and I needed two volunteers and wanted them to act as the “Grammy” and “Golden Globe” award-winners. The rest of the class acted as if they were journalists and they were supposed to interview these actresses by interrogating them about their hobbies. These two volunteers-Linda and Joyce were brought out of the class and they told me that their hobbies were listening to music and shopping. The main thrill in this activity is that these so-called journalists were made to believe that Linda’s hobby is peeping and Joyce’s digging nose. Thus, the whole class was very eager to throw questions to these actresses and these actresses confidently answered all the questions without knowing that their hobbies were told differently to the class. Thus, when later the truth is revealed, both of the actresses blushed and the class broke into laughter. Later, I thanked both the volunteers and start to ask feedbacks from them. Later, I tried to relate the position that Linda and Joyce were in with the main character of the play; Oedipus. I was able to tap the required information from them as they were able to relate this activity with the theme; “blindness”. I was not just praised by my friends but Miss Siti also complimented on my activity and said that although it was a little bit long but it managed to indulge all the students. Then, I realised that it was on the shoulders of the teacher whether to make the activity enjoyable or not. Wow...a great day indeed...can’t wait for my simulated teaching...

1 comment:

maisarah said...

Hahahahahha...It is absolutely right Priya..We were all burst out laughing when Linda and Joyce innocently answer your questions. The moment is still fresh in my mind...Thank you for making it so fun..We did enjoy ourselves, plus we did learn something..=)